Call Today: (202) 789 - 8898
Posted by: Charles P Myrick CPA Posted on: Nov 19 2014 Posted in: tax planning and preparation, tax savings

How to Get Tax Savings With the Sale of Vacant Land

Are considering the sale of your principal residence? You probably know that you will be able to exclude up to $250,000 of gain ($500,000 for most joint filers).  IRS regulations may now allow you to apply this gain exclusion when you sell vacant land that is adjacent to your home.



To qualify for the tax savings:

  1. The land you sell must be adjacent to the parcel on which your house sits.
  2. The land sale must occur within two years before or after the residence is sold.
  3. You must meet the other usual requirements for claiming the exclusion.
If you qualify, you can apply your $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion to both sales combined.

Here’s how it works:

Example: You own a house and 10 acres of property. The home is your principal residence. When it’s time to sell, you decide to divide the property. The house will be sold on a three-acre lot, and the other seven acres of land will be offered to a developer.  If  the land sale occurs within two years before or after you sell the house, you can exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 if you file jointly) of the combined gain from both sales.

Charles P Myrick CPA , Washington DC tax preparation firm, provides accounting and bookkeeping services to clients throughout the area. Contact us to find our more about our tax planning and tax preparation services.

 Do Your Business Tax Deductions Pass the "Laugh Test"? Grab Your Must-Have Guide Now!

Note: Originally published  2014-07-17.

Secure Client Portal


Second year in a row: Myrick CPA voted Best Accounting Firm in DC 2017

Myrick CPA is Best Accounting Firm in DC in 2016

Free Business Process Improvement Tools: Download Our Checklist for Business Record Keeping Now

Follow Me

Subscribe to Email Updates