We recently focused on tips and links to resources for small businesses and nonprofits, including churches, that have been adversely impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Today, we want to focus on resources for individuals in the Washington, DC metro region who have lost their employment due to COVID-19.
The following are quick links to websites where more detail can be found. Things continue to change, so it is important to bookmark the sites that are best for you and check back frequently.
In Washington, DC
- DC Department of Employment Services and Q&A webinar - these fill up quickly, most slots available right now are for the week of April 7 and beyond.
- Employer FAQ: commonly asked questions for employers
- Claimant FAQ: commonly asked questions for employees
- Scenarios of what benefits are applicable in various situations.
- See Frequently Asked Questions about Unemployment Insurance in Maryland
- Additional information from Maryland Workforce Assistance and Unemployment:
- Apply for Maryland Unemployment Benefits Online
- COVID-19 Resources from the Virginia Employment Commission
- Answers to FAQs from Workers Regarding COVID-19
- While most local offices are closed to the public, VEC employees are available by phone. Use this list to get the phone number of the office nearest you.
- First-time applicants may find it helpful to watch the video below, Applying for Unemployment Benefits
We've all heard stories, I'm sure, about how long the wait can be when you call your Unemployment Office. Use the online forms as far as possible, and just be prepared to wait as patiently as you can if you find yourself on hold. These are highly unusual times and the demand is currently exceeding the systems' ability to move quickly. The good news is that assurances have been made that benefits will be dated to the day that your employment ended or was cut back due to the coronavirus. Hang in there!
If you haven't already used the Myrick CPA online portal to submit your 2019 tax documents for preparation and filing, this would be the time to do that. If you are new to Myrick CPA (welcome!0 or have other questions? Just let us know.
We are here for you,
Charles Myrick and Team